"THE BLOG FOR A QUALITY WASTE OF TIME"

Thursday, February 16, 2023

Getting Old - "If It Wasn't For Bad Luck..."

"Hard luck and trouble 
Been my only friend
I've been on my own
Ever since I was ten" 

Hi all, it's been awhile, the last time I posted I believe I was unhappily opining about the Caesar Administration (strap in, for no particular reason, there's going to be a panoply of Ancient Rome references - damn you, Robert Graves and your fine authoring!) but today's offering promises to be short and simple, brief and basic, Tom and Jerry (sorry, I ran out of pairings.) This last year in my, not particularly exciting, fascinating or noteworthy life, (but, hey, who's the one reading this?) has most definitively demonstrated a dystorphic dilemma - despite consistent, intensive exercise, risking old-man hernias, pulled something or others, and fractured femurs;  alongside a soupcon (that's right, I said soupcon, Google it!) of concern for my diet (I mean, come on, draught beer, burgers and egg creams are a must for any civilized existence) I am an aged and decrepid 63. I have gotten very old and have come to the painful, but blunt realization, that the way of life that I am accustomed to, love, enjoy, and take very much for granted, has most likely begun it's lingering denouement. I am probably never going to be fully healthy again,  I have made new aquaintances, good friends, who have never even known me to be medication or treatment free. A day without some form of ache or pain, or non-stop, excruciating tooth/gum throbbing (my current and most frequent predicament) is like a day without Steve Harvey, it doesn't exist. I'm a devout world traveler (London, Paris, Rome, Asgaard,  Avatar, cruises, and much, much more) and a lover of fine restaurants, theatre, live music, bawdy 1920s burlesque, Gladiatorial Games, along with so many other forms of leisure and entertainment, much of which is now beginning to appear, somewhat, in the rearview mirror (just a cliched turn of phrase, as a Manhattanite, I've never owned a car) and part of a glorious, wonderful, but now, bitterly behind me past. I've discovered that things I can control in my life are truly great, but those things that I can't, are pretty consistently, overwhelminly negative and conspiring against my future happiness.

In the distant past, when folks like Caligula ruled civilization, in a time before modern medical miracles, to make it to the age of 40, was to live a long life, I've made it to more than 2 decades beyond that, and so, in a way, this is all gravy. But how much more enjoyable and valuable would that Hollandaise be not spent with one malady quickly replacing the previous one? What did Tiberius know ?

Primo bluesman, Albert King gets it, Blues singers get everything!

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all."

Any comments, questions, criticisms, candid confessions, cash contributions? Contact me at butchersaprons@mail.com

2 comments:

  1. Always look on the bright side. Apparently your sense of humor has not diminished. Now when you get to MY age...

    Very nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so much, for reading this, and for the kind response!

      Delete