"THE BLOG FOR A QUALITY WASTE OF TIME"

Thursday, November 10, 2016

A Nation Sells it Soul – Survival in a Post-Trump America


“And I don't know a soul who's not been battered
I don't have a friend who feels at ease
I don't know a dream that's not been shattered
Or driven to its knees
But it's all right, it's all right
We've lived so well so long
Still, when I think of the road
We're traveling on
I wonder what went wrong
I can't help it, I wonder what went wrong” – Paul Simon

“95 North is bumper to bumper. Route 1 is closed from I-76 to Route 30 as we experience extremely heavy volume all along the funeral route for the sudden and tragic passing of the United States of America.” – 11/09/16 U.S. Radio Traffic Report

As with the majority of citizens who inhabit the populous landmass south of Canada and north of Mexico, the one-time great republic, formerly known as the United States of America - I’m angry, I’m sorrowful; I’m in shock, disbelief, depression and deep despair.  And, I ask you, wise readers, how does one learn to live with these legitimate and sincere feelings for the four years, the 1461 days, we have ahead of us with the Right’s favorite fuhrer leading his ignorant, angry and violent army of anti-American misogynists, bigots, Russian oligarchs, KKK and neo-Nazis in the rapid destruction of the greatest experiment in democracy the world has ever known?

I had sincerely hoped that with the prior posting of November 3rd, sanity, intelligence and patriotism would have prevailed and there would be no further need to address the odious subject of Donald J. Trump. Clearly, as did most people whose anatomy still contains both a functioning brain and heart, I far underestimated the level of idiocy, prejudice, and pure unadulterated hatred that once lay dormant and has now leapt to the fore, and into the loving and welcoming embrace of the Republican party and their malignant membership - a colossal collection of clueless rebels without causes, engaging in a gigantic, unjustified, whiny, self-indulgent, self-important and narcissistic White Rage hissy fit, irate and outraged because people of color, Latinos, women, the LGBT community and other minorities dare believe they are entitled to the same Constitutional and equal rights as these good ol’ boys and hillbillies.

“And I dreamed I was dying
And I dreamed that my soul rose unexpectedly
And looking back down at me
Smiled reassuringly
And I dreamed I was flying
And high up above my eyes could clearly see
The Statue of Liberty
Sailing away to sea
And I dreamed I was flying”



Should We Stay or Should We Go Now?

Let’s face the forlorn facts, our fellow former Americans have screwed us, as surely as if they are Trump and we are a 13 year old girl (or for that matter, an extremely close relative, whose identity will be only revealed upon her father’s demise – ah heck, I just gave that away, didn’t I?) Toronto is tempting and Fiji is fine this time of year, but we stay.  While we may have never before been this rightfully ashamed of the red, white and blue, nor ever this disgusted with those who voted to legalize and legitimize racism and sexism, we stay. Although we should not accept the results of this election or the ascendancy of Trump to the Oval Office, as acceptance inches too close in attitude to approval, we stay.  We stay, because we are in the right. We stay because we are the descendants of our Founders. We stay because we must fight - fight against the revolting and repugnant rising tide of hatred, division, discrimination, xenophobia and anti-intellectualism. And we fight with our words and our deeds, our voices and our votes. With determination, patience and genuine patriotism, there may be a path to lead us back to the real America.

When Trump, that most petty, most loathsome little man, and his legion of obdurate and brutish philistines are indecent, we must display decency. When they are intolerant, we will be tolerant. When they renounce and reject, we will accept and welcome. When they are hateful, we will be loving.



Americans. Patriotic Americans. Those of us who still believe in freedom and equality, are now immersed in the battle of our lifetimes, the battle to save and preserve our Republic against the enemy from within, and the most perilous and treacherous domestic danger our country has confronted since the War Between the States. We have to stand united to defend the values we treasure. Together, we will persevere, and perhaps even prosper, when we succeed and eventually and inevitably put this extremely dark period in our history behind us. There is no choice.  We have to hold on to the hope that when all is said and done, the power of tolerance, acceptance, love and Americanism will ultimately endure.

“We come on the ship they call the Mayflower
We come on the ship that sailed the moon
We come in the age's most uncertain hour
And sing an American tune
But it's all right, it's all right
You can't be forever blessed
Still, tomorrow's going to be another working day
And I'm trying to get some rest
That's all I'm trying to get some rest”

Any comments, questions, criticisms, compliments, candid confessions, cash contributions? Contact me at butchersaprons@mail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment